Friday, May 16, 2008

Math Expressions chosen as new K-5th Math Curriculum

Annette got an email message yesterday afternoon that Edmonds School District has chosen Math Expressions for its K-5th Math curriculum starting in the fall. This decision will become official once it is approved by the school board at a meeting in June.

This is good news for students in our district as it is a stronger math program that what is being used in many of our district schools. I hope you join with me in supporting our teachers and schools as they adjust to the new curriculum in the coming school year.

I want to thank you for taking an interest in this issue. I have enjoyed talking to other parents about math education. I appreciate the efforts of those parents who were able to look at the curriculum choices and voice their opinion.

If you would like to check out the Math Expressions website it is www.eduplace.com/math/mthexp .

Of course I know there is no perfect curriculum. And we really only had a chance to look at and voice opinions about the three that the committee narrowed it down to. However, I am really pleased that Math Expressions was the one that was ultimately chosen. I am convinced it will provide a much better math education for students than 1.) the current curriculum and 2.) the other choices in the top three.

I hope that the transition for teachers and students is smooth. The teachers have been working with the previous curriculum, and kept getting additional training in order to teach that method "better" and now this new one will require something different of them. I think that if parents and educators approach it will enthusiasm and support that things will go well.

I also hope that the "gaps" in the children's math education as they enter their grade level next year will not prove to be insurmountable. Math topics might not have been covered adequately in previous years and students might be less prepared than what is assumed in the curriculum. While there might be some growing pains, in the long run all students will come out ahead.

No comments: